Thursday, November 26, 2009

Paying Attention

Photobucket

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down--
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.

I don't know exactly what a prayer is.

I do know how to pay attention,
how to fall down into the grass,
how to kneel in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed,
how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?

[The Summer Day by Mary Oliver]

Photobucket


Post inspired by three beautiful little girls who make sure I keep paying attention to the important things. Breathtaking photographs by Jacqueline Roberts in JPG Magazine.

Photobucket
Cushion/Pillow Covers from all corners of the globe. Small parcels = little postage. 1. Revision Design Australia 2. Bambina 3. Gabriel Pardo 4. Heidi Devlin Home

17 comments:

Jeana Marie said...

the images are so completely stunning, and what thoughtful words.

Rose said...

Im in love with the LOVE cushions! My favs are the scrabble ones :) how sweet.

Rose

Michelle said...

Oh wow.

Yes.

I am keeping this.....

xxx

Couture Carrie said...

Gorgeous post and pics, darling!
Love the Scrabble throw pillows!

xoxox,
CC

Renee said...

Chrisy what an incredible post. Just like you 'incredible'.

I love you Chrisy.

Renee xoxo

Sam said...

Look at all these sumptuous posts I've got to catch up on!!! It's a feast for the eyes and heart dear Chrisy! I read about your prognosis - fingers crosed that it all settles down and a huge phew it's not MS. You are very brave and courageous and thank you for your lovely blog - it really is a treat to visit. Sam. XOXO P.S. I adore these little gals - so sweet!

Kitty Stampede said...

Just beautiful! the poem and photos and of course the theme. It seems little kids can be so very wise at time and make you realize what's really important! Take Care...

Hot Fudge said...

I've just been catching up with your lovely blog Chrisy. I do hope the prognosis continues to be positive for you. Your attitude to life is wonderful, as is this lovely post.

Hey Harriet said...

A beautiful post Chrisy! Very lovely finds that you've shared here. Love the scrabble cushions!!!

susan said so said...

Beautiful - I love this poem; thanks for reminding me!!

Happy Thanksgiving -

xox,
susan

http://confessionsofasineater.blogspot.com/

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Blessings to you.

studioJudith said...

YesYesYes ... .
Just a spectacular post!
So happy to see you've feeling a bit of
inspiration.
Jjjj

Artsnark said...

gorgeous! Thanks for sharing

www.rachaelsgarden.etsy.com said...

Lovely post,, amazing photographs and very inspiring! Just followed your blog. Best wishes and sending positive thoughts your way!

Kristina P. said...

Chrisy, I saw that you won the Snuggie! I hope you send me a picture when you receive it. I would love to feature you on my blog.

Witchcrafted Life said...

Like the sweetest of ethereal angels...stunning photos, and the perfect pairing of words.


Gentle hugs & weekend serenity,
♥ Jessica

Joanna Jenkins said...

In a word-- Exquisite! Every word and every gorgeous face.
Thanks!
xo