Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Guerrillas and Knitting


Artist Denise Lichfield aka grrl+dog is a 'guerrilla knitter'. For those not familiar with this term, The Sydney Morning Herald did a feature story on Denise earlier this month and it gives some good background information on this form of street art.

Denise is encouraging other crafters to join a global knit up project to culminate on 23 February. Visit her blog post and show your interest if you want to join in.

The good news is that even if you don’t knit but do other craft work you can also take part. Here’s a little piece that showed up mysteriously this morning in Oxford Street Bulimba Brisbane just around the corner from me. A few leather punched butterflies sit on this light pole in front of the ferry terminal.

If you’re wanting to do a bit of street art in camouflage consider this hat from Shazzas Knits.

Or if you prefer get some of these eye catching custom made stripey socks from Space Frog another knitting addict. "My kids have been known to ask what I'm knitting for dinner" says Space Frog.

And why not do your knitting in style with these hand cast resin needles from On The Needle. They’re a little heavier than plastic needles so they could come in handy for any necessary self protection.

Add a bit more bling with trinket from Liana Kabel. Liana explains her preferred art medium, "..with a Tupperware Lady mother and a Jeweller father what else was I going to be but a jeweller obsessed with plastic!"

And if you've had problems with your knitting in the past, take heart from this video; you're not alone.

23 comments:

littlechrissy said...

Guerilla knitting! Yes yes YES!!! I'm definitely going to do this. How wonderful one has appeared in Brisbane already...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the idea of guerrilla knitting! Now if only I could knit...

lyptis said...

That video is mean!
Nice post tho!:)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I love the idea of Guerilla crafting. It's so wonderful.

I love all the amazing stuff you find and share on your blog. It's such a treat.

Hey Harriet said...

This is such a cool idea. I can't knit to save my life though :( I wonder if guerilla origami counts? I'm always folding paper peace cranes & leaving them in public places...cafes, parks etc. Sometimes with little messages written on their wings. And sometimes not. Hey I love those Oxford Street butterflies. So they landed just around the corner from your house? Fancy that eh ;D

Hey Harriet said...

Oh & I hope you have a super special day on Friday! :D

studioJudith said...

Love the concept of guerilla knitting!
You aussies have all the fun ... . Judith

Jill said...

So pretty! Maybe I should go down to the ferry doc where I live and hang something pretty - what a nice idea :)

I love those resin knitting needles - I wish I was a better knitter!

I also love love love that jewelery by Liana Kabel! I'm adding her as a fav!

Anonymous said...

Thasnks for the cool post, and the extra cool way you knitted in all those topics. Love the resin, I am a resin maker too.

H aha..use the needles for self protection... yes!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love those knitting needles!!!

edward and lilly said...

This is great! You know, there used to be an annual event in Warwick called Jumpers in July where the trees in the main street were all fitted out with 'knitted jumpers'. I'm not sure if it still happens but it was such a sight!

belinda marshall said...

great post! liana kabel's jewellery is the best :)

Anastasia said...

i love the idea...ive also seen trees decorated in lace - so pretty!! wouldnt it be cool to come across some, wonder if there are any in Sydney?

Finki said...

love those resin needles, and rings too, ahhh fantastic plastic. and what a cool notion...random acts of craftiness...(:

Bec said...

I love the idea of craft as street art. Bring it on!!!!

Little Jane St said...

Great idea! - I saw these on a recent trip to Sydney and LOVED them!!

Unknown said...

i love those rings ... and thanks for the rabbit CD link OMG WTF? that was so good i sent it around work !! whaaaa- co

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I love the Guerilla knitting idea. And ahhh... my beloved Oxford Street, Bulimba. I used to live around the corner from there too, and used to walk down to the ferry stop every morning. Not long before I'll be back that way though.

Hot Fudge said...

Can't knit - can't crochet - sob.

Little Mary Moo said...

Great post. I LOVE those socks.

Lou said...

You really do find some good stuff - and love the way you link it all together!

Quail said...

I think guerilla knitting is just the coolest! It's been around for about 6 years in Europe, starting in Scandinavia--I think.

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to pay a quick visit this website and reading the views of all friends regarding this paragraph, while I am also zealous of getting know-how.
Stop by my weblog - how to play piano